Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Help, possible rootkit

From: Leif Ericksen <leife () dls net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:51:09 -0500

I personally agree with the spy ware item.  I had a system that acted
like that and it had spy ware.

Another issue that I had problems with was a laptop with a cell phone
nearby.  Is this system a laptop?  Does it have one of those stupid
touch pads?  Do you have a cell phone near the laptop when it acts like
this or other RF generating devices?  I even had a cell phone turn on an
X-10 Controlled light when they were in the same room.  I was able to
prove that it was the cell phone by turning the phone off.
Incidentally, the cell phone was just laying on the dresser, and I was
trying to  sleep when the light came on.  :/  (X-10 did not know of that
being an issue, I told them they may want to document it.)

Another thing to consider with the laptop and the touch pad is that on
certain laptops if you are going to use an external keyboard and mouse
you may want to disable the touch bad because it may exhibit strange
behavior when the external items are plugged in.

If all else fails remove and re-insert all cards in the system,
Remove ALL recent patches (Lets blame service pack 2 and MS here if you
have that installed)

--
Leif Ericksen
I really can live with out Microsoft in my life 95% of the time.  I need