Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Security Issues with Wake on Lan (WOL)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 16:46:48 -0500

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:26:08 PST, Paul Beckman said:

for many disparate customers.  One component has
recently asked for us to enable ip broadcasts
(something we kept disabled on our routers for
security) so as to use the functionality of Wake on
Lan (WOL)

Unintended consequences - if you have enough machines that go to sleep
with WOL enabled to make supporting it worth doing, does your power
infrastructure have the ability to power up that many systems at the
same time (note that for the purposes of power-up drain, even a flood
of several thousand ping packets to sequential addresses is "the same
time").  Power-up drain (notably spinning up disks) is *much* higher
than the steady-state drain.

Another issue - if an attacker can power up an unpatched or misconfigured or
otherwise vulnerable machine, they can then do what they want to it all
night.....