Security Incidents mailing list archives

Security Issues with Wake on Lan (WOL)

From: Paul Beckman <beckhead2002 () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:26:08 -0800 (PST)

Hello list- have gleamed some great info from all that
participate on this list.  Just wanted to take a sec
to say thanks.

My group manages a very large network infrastructure
for many disparate customers.  One component has
recently asked for us to enable ip broadcasts
(something we kept disabled on our routers for
security) so as to use the functionality of Wake on
Lan (WOL). I'm looking for some insights into the
security condiderations that anyone has made in
determining whether or not to allow this.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Paul