Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: TCP port 5000 syn increasing

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:30:43 -0400

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:45:50 CDT, Frank Knobbe said:

That begs the question if it isn't becoming useless nowadays to count
port scans. Perhaps we should focus instead on catching the worms and
provide payload, or payload hashes. Otherwise, how would you pick up the
new strain of SQL slammer amongst all the existing SQL port scans?

I'm waiting for the first worm that tunnels over HTTP port 80, as a number
of protocols already do, to get around firewalls that only pass 25 and 80. ;)