Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: TCP port 5000 syn increasing

From: Terence Runge <Terence.Runge () veritas com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:11:47 -0700

http://www.internetwk.com/breakingNews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=20301309H
igh

Port 5000 Traffic Indicates Kibuv.b Worm At Work

By TechWeb News

Symantec's DeepSight Threat network Monday detected a very high level of
unusual traffic on TCP port 5000 that indicates a worm's at work.

The latest alert, which notes "extremely heavy activity" on port 5000, is
"almost certainly a worm-related activity," said Alfred Huger, the vice
president of engineering for Symantec's virus watch group.

The suspected culprit is the Kibuv.b worm, which hit the Internet over the
weekend and exploits a vulnerability in Windows' Universal Plug and Play
(UPnP) service within Windows 98, Me, and XP. The UPnP vulnerability was
first disclosed and patched in late 2001.