Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: New Piece of spyware

From: "Sarbjit Singh Gill" <ssgill () gilltechnologies com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:40:28 +0800

Greetings,

My post is not a direct reply to the original questions of this thread. I
noticed the original poster said he was using a Windows 2003 Server OS for
his IRC client.

What I don't understand is why would somebody be running a IRC client on a
server OS like Windows 2003. Isn't IRC client software "designed"  to run on
a client(likes of XP Home, Pro, Windows 2000, W98 etc.)

I mean one can see when Windows 2003 is installed by default the IE is
locked down even for local network. This is for one good reason: nobody is
going to use the IE to access a web server while locally logged on the
Windows 2003 server.

Pretty dangerous isn't that a highly "flammable" client is sitting on a
server.

I suppose the original poster is running Windows 2003 for
development/testing.

But running a IRC on a client would be easier to control. For e.g.. Zone
alarm is not designed to run a windows 2003 server but rather is designed
for a client like XP. On the server there could be a longer checklist to
cover when locking down compare to Windows XP or even W2k Pro.

/Gill