Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Incident investigation methodologies

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 10:42:46 -0500

--On Thursday, June 03, 2004 12:07:41 PM +0200 Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net> wrote:

Don't get me wrong. My question was: is it sufficient to analyze the
system's state with tools/scripts running on the compromised system
itself, or is it better to preserve the state in a memory dump and
analyze it offline? The latter is of course more complicated, whereas
the former bears the risk of a rootkit manipulating the data. What is
the best practice? Is the risk of a rootkit manipulating system calls
low enough to work around it with an assorted collection of tools? What
are the experiences of the professionals in this field?

Keep in mind that there can be many different goals for analyzing a system. In our case, we almost never intend to involve law enforcement or pursue the "bad guy(s)". All we're trying to do is:

1) Determine what unwanted elements are on the system
2) Determine how they got there
3) Get rid of them
4) Devise protective measures to prevent a repeat

Preservation of evidence, for us, is not a factor. What we do isn't even forensics. It's more along the lines of a thorough investigation.

To answer your question directly, *if* your goals are similar to ours, than a CD rom with the necessary tools, running on the live system, is sufficient to determine the location of the "evil" and determine the cause. Since the tools don't rely on the OS for their information gathering, they are unaffected by any alterations made by a rootkit.

For example, a statically compiled copy of ls on a CD is going to show you what's on the hard drive of a unix machine no matter what the rootkit may have done.

If you're asking about genuine forensics examinations, then you first have to hope that the host is in a "pristine" state WRT the problem, which is almost never the case, before memory dumps would even matter.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member