Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Novarg

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:10:43 +1300

"Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathan () nuclearelephant com> writes:

Finally a means of detection is helpful in spearheading the really daft
ones who don't read what you give them or pay attention in training.
Setting up detection on port 25 outgoing and other suspicious ports can
tell you who went and opened the attachment.

Writing a perl script to grovel throught PIX logs looking for >5000
denies on 25/tcp outbound is trivial. (And you can pick up the
135-139/tcp outbound for Blaster and variants at the same time). But I
could probably share mine if anyone wants one.

Of course I'd prefer a good IDS signature, if available.

--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.