Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Novarg

From: "Ivan Coric" <ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:58:12 +1000

Hi Jim,
Maybe you could explain this statement a little better?

"after all, completely blocking zip files in attachments is a very, very sharp double-edged knife."

We block all 'zip' attachments and have found it excellent way to prevent new virus' from entering the network, prior
to signatures files being released. And that also goes for, .pif, .scr, .exe etc.

Kind Regards
Ivan

Ivan Coric, CISSP
IT Technical Security Officer
Information Technology
WorkCover Queensland
Ph: (07) 30066414 Fax: (07) 30066424
Email: ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au

Jim Zajkowski <jim () jimz net> 01/29/04 04:33am >>>
I'm waiting for the virus that automatically zips itself with a
different, random password and e-mails the victim with something like
"hey, check this out -- I encrypted it with password <foo>."  It'll be
interesting to watch the policies fly -- after all, completely blocking
zip files in attachments is a very, very sharp double-edged knife.

--Jim

Messages included in this e-mail and any of its attachments are those
of the author unless specifically stated to represent WorkCover Queensland. The contents of this message are to be used
for the intended purpose only and are to be kept confidential at all times.
This message may contain privileged information directed only to the intended addressee/s. Accidental receipt of this
information should be deleted promptly and the sender notified.
This e-mail has been scanned by Sophos for known viruses.
However, no warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.