Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: buddylinks worm

From: falcon () secureconsulting net
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:16:11 -0600 (CST)

Ironically, removal is straightforward and reliable (thus far):

To uninstall this application, use the ADD/REMOVE Programs Control Panel
and remove the applications related to:
* BuddyLinks
* PSDT Messaging Integration
* PSD Tools ChannelUp v1.0 (remove only)

Jason Yates wrote:

Another one of the AOL worms; this one instant messages all users on
your buddy list.  The message I've recieved is "check this out:
http://ww.wgutv.com/osama_capture.php?bNek";.  The link is a fact news
website telling you to download some software .  Once you install the
software on the page; it immediately instant messages everyone on your
buddy list.

The software it installs is something called buddylinks.  According to
buddylinks.net, Buddylinks is a "revolutionary new way for instant
messenger users to instantaneously share entertaining content with
their entire IM "buddy list" network all at one time".  I can't make
this stuff up.

Jason Yates

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php
reluctant until I figure out what exactly this thing is.

-Dennis