Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Exchange/Microsoft SMTP Authenticated User spam?

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul () somewhere com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:55:49 -0400

At 10:27 AM -0700 10/14/03, wirepair wrote:
We've had two calls in the past month regarding supposed authenticated users sending out spam and using their external mail servers as relays. I was just curious if anyone else has seen this type of activity. I crawled the archives

There are known to be ongoing attacks against weak passwords on Exchange servers (which apparently don't lock out attempts after multiple failures). The references I've seen speak of attacks on default Exchange mail accounts. I don't know if they've gone beyond that yet, although I can't imagine why they wouldn't.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.