Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: strange windows behaviour.

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:45:57 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Harlan Carvey [mailto:keydet89 () yahoo com]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 5:29 PM
To: incidents () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: strange windows behaviour.

Can you elaborate on "has to come out of hiding"?

In order for code "hidden" in an ADS to be executed, it has to be called
by something.  As soon as the on access scanner detects the file access
it will scan the file to determine if it's viral.  If it is, it will
block the execution of the file.  What I meant by "come out of hiding"
is that is has to be called and executed before it can do anything.

Now that's the ideal.  In the real world, you have to understand that
the av software has to "know" about the executable.  If it's "new" or
unknown code, on access scanning is not going to detect it.  But then on
demand scanning wouldn't detect it either since they both use the same
detection methods and "databases".

One poster pointed out to me privately that this is true of *all* files.
I agree.  And I suppose there would be *some* benefit to being able to
on demand scan ADS, but the vendors have looked it and rejected it due
to the CPU and time costs (how long it would take to scan all files plus
scan for ADS plus scan anything that's in ADS.)  So long as files are
not executed, they remain benign.  Properly written AV software *should*
detect the file launch and scan and detect the malicious software and
then block its execution regardless of its storage location.

I've repeatedly demonstrated how an executable can be
written to an ADS and launched directly from that
location, without having to be copied to another
location, such as a temp file.  The same is true on
Win2K systems and above with VB and JavaScript files.

I hope that clarifies my comments.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas