Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Logs showing GET /.hash=...

From: "James Williams" <jwilliams () mail wtamu edu>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 08:16:09 -0500

Here's the nbar configuration I use on our routers.

<snip>

ip cef
!
class-map match-any p2p
match protocol fasttrack
match protocol gnutella
match protocol napster
match protocol httpurl "\.hash=*"
match protocol httpurl "/.hash=*"
match protocol kazaa2
!
!
policy-map p2p
class p2p
police cir 8000 bc 1500 be 1500
conform-action drop
exceed-action drop

interface FastEthernet0/0 (internal interface, or external)
ip nbar protocol-discovery
service-policy input p2p
service-policy output p2p

</snip>

I would also recommend the Allot Communications NetEnforcer. I've tested
2 different versions, the AC202/10 and the AC302, on two different
networks and it works great for all known p2p traffic. I'm hoping that
our administration lets us buy one before to long. I was testing the
AC302 on our dorm network and it cut 10 Megabits of traffic down below a
Megabit, just by cutting p2p traffic down to 5Kbps. It works very well
and it doesn't manipulate packets likes some other traffic shapers.

James Williams
Network Systems Operations
West Texas A&M University