Security Incidents mailing list archives

Hosts File "Girlnextdoor_"

From: Salomao Barguil <barguil () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:32:06 -0800 (PST)

I have no idea how the HOSTS file was "updated", there
is no unknown application on this PC (Today), to the
best of my knwoledge.

It might have been some old app, there was installed
and then removed...but I have no clue ! Sorry !

As I explained before, I did all the basic to search
for unknown apps/services/ports/traffic in this PC,
and everything seems to be fine.

I will be monitoring this PC and keep you posted if
the HOSTS file get "updated" again.

Sal.
--- "Levinson, Karl" <LevinsonK () STARS-SMI com>
I would guess that this would be the result of some
anti-adware or anti-spam
program the computer user had installed.  This
resembles an attempt to break
connectivity with certain banned hostnames by
resolving them to an invalid
IP address. I seem to remember at least one other
person reporting this
problem in a newsgroup this year.