Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Dubious e-mail: [Fwd: Dell.com (Password Request)]

From: "Cushing, David" <David.Cushing () hitachisoftware com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:39:27 -0400

I think what you have here is that someone tried to get your
password, but
failed...kind of silly of them, really, since they would
obviously have
mailed the password to your email address.  Going to that
link and typing in
the password the email provides wouldn't get the attacker
anything (if they
had sent the email in the first place) because you'll just
use the password
they gave you.

What if they could already read his email and wanted to borrow his Dell account?  It's still silly, but I wouldn't
assume they failed.

Or is it silly?  Dear Dell Support:  Could you fix the mailing address on those 5 PowerEdge 6600's I ordered last
week... <g>