Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Virus? Trojan?

From: "James C Slora Jr" <Jim.Slora () phra com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:39:45 -0500

David Gillett wrote Monday, December 30, 2002 5:03 PM

  So far today, I've received two email messages from
kbl-zrz2519.zeelandnet.nl [62.238.233.233]

which, apparently, claimed in its HELO message to *be*
our local MX (which of course was who it was talking TO).
Sounds to me like a bug in the sending software.

  The other thing these messages had in common was a
33KB .scr ("screen saver") executable attachment.
Norton doesn't recognize this as a known threat, but
I don't want to be the first to learn the hard way what
it does.

I've gotten 4 more Yaha-M-infected messages from this same source today. I
received a few at around the same time you did, starting December 31 when
Yaha-M had not yet been listed. The sender must have one of the first
infected computers. They may be a member of this list or someone who visits
the list archives.

Since the infections are still coming I've notified the administrator of
zeelandnet.nl - hopefully they will hunt the user down and help them clear
the infection.