Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Virus? Trojan?

From: Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () xcorps net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 20:15:42 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, David Gillett wrote:

  So far today, I've received two email messages from

kbl-zrz2519.zeelandnet.nl [62.238.233.233]

which, apparently, claimed in its HELO message to *be*
our local MX (which of course was who it was talking TO).
Sounds to me like a bug in the sending software.

  The other thing these messages had in common was a
33KB .scr ("screen saver") executable attachment.
Norton doesn't recognize this as a known threat, but
I don't want to be the first to learn the hard way what
it does.

  MAYBE this is just ill-conceived and poorly-written
spam.  Maybe it's something more serious.  Anybody know
one way or the other?

Consider yourself lucky. I received over 3000 over a 24 hour period this
weekend. It seems to be spreading more rapidly as of late. Possibly a
variant?

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security