Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Abnormally high Sub-Seven attack rate increase

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 17:17:12 -0800 (PST)

Eric,

How did 'probes' from your post become 'attacks' in
the subject line?
--- James C Slora Jr <Jim.Slora () phra com> wrote:
Eric Kimminau wrote Tuesday, December 31, 2002 12:10
AM

Is it just me or has the number of Sub-Seven
probes grown
astronomically in the last 7 days? I am seeing on
average 25-30
clients per day, each scanning 3 or 4 times each
up from only 1 or 2
per day at most for the last several months.

DShield does not show an overall increase, but a
fair number of people have
experienced a huge growth in probes over the past
few days. I've gotten
several off-list correlations of individual sub7
scan increases from my post
on the incidents.org intrusions list.

It seems to be a network-specific phenomenon.

See the "27374 SubSeven Explosion" thread

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/intrusions/2002/12/msg00256.html

- Jim

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS
analyzer service.
For more information on this free incident handling,
management
and tracking system please see:
http://aris.securityfocus.com