Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: What constitutes authorized server access? - was Re: RPAT - Realtime Proxy Abuse Triangulation

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: 03 Jan 2003 11:18:35 +1300

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 07:25, Kevin Reardon wrote:
In the case where a road is not specifically signed to
not trespass or properly gated, it is unknown to a reasonable man if
this road is a government run road or private, thus a person may
trespass without knowledge but would be innocent of the crime.

Personally I think this is the best analogy given so far.  What it means
is that unless there is some form of access control then you are may
assume it is public highway.  The issue of intent is also important (but
as our ex police friend pointed out very difficult to prove -- hmmm.. is
a xmas or SYN+FIN packet the cyber equivalent of a jemmy?).

My rule of thumb is if the service is publicly access then they may be
accessed so long as you don't do anything that might cause damage or
breach privacy.  I.e. putting your head in the door and hollering "Any
one home" is OK, rummaging through the office filing cabine looking for
phone number of the owners insurance company so you can warn them isn't!
(it breaches the owners privacy).

With SNMP grabbing the machine make and type might be justifiable  but
this should not extent to someone walking the complete SNMP MIB.

The corollary is that if you leave services open with no access control
expect people to look around.

Cheers, Russell.

--

"It aint necessarily so"  - Gershwin