Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Packet from port 80 with spoofed microsoft.com ip

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:01:42 -0800 (PST)

How does an ACK packet constitute an "attack"?

Did you run netstat on your system to view the states
of connections on that system?

How did you determine that the packet had been
spoofed?

--- Michael Rowe <mrowe () mojain com> wrote:
Hi,

I received a packet on my cable modem today,
allegedly from
microsoft.com:

18:41:35.663374 207.46.249.190.80 >
my.cable.modem.ip.1681: S866282571:866282571(0) ack
268566529 win 16384 <mss 1460>

$ host 207.46.249.190
Name: www.domestic.microsoft.com
Address: 207.46.249.190
Aliases: microsoft.com microsoft.net
www.us.microsoft.com

No one was home at this time, and no computer
running windows was
active, so I'm pretty sure this was not legit
traffic (unless it was a
*very* delayed ack from a microsoft server, like > 6
hours. I guess
this is conceivable, given their current, er, issues
:).

Is this some sort of known "attack"? Or just random
weiredness?

Cheers,

--
Michael Rowe <mrowe () mojain com>

IM  - mrowe () jabber org                Prof - ACM,
IEEE, Computer Soc.
Web - http://www.mojain.com/          Vice - Barley
malt, brewed or
Key - http://mojain.com/keys/mrowe.asc
distilled (hold the ice)

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS
analyzer service.
For more information on this free incident handling,
management
and tracking system please see:
http://aris.securityfocus.com