Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Packet from port 80 with spoofed microsoft.com ip

From: Thiago Conde Figueiró <thiago.figueiro () ciphertech com br>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:12:01 -0200

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:46:53 +1100
Michael Rowe <mrowe () mojain com> wrote:

MR> I received a packet on my cable modem today, allegedly from
MR> microsoft.com:
(snip)

MR> $ host 207.46.249.190
MR> Name: www.domestic.microsoft.com
MR> Address: 207.46.249.190
MR> Aliases: microsoft.com microsoft.net www.us.microsoft.com

        One should not trust reverse DNS for identification.  The
administrator for 249.46.207.in-addr.arpa could spoof that response.

        I'm not saying the packet didn't come from there, as I didn't bother
checking.  But that verification should be done with the proper
authority (whois @internic.net, perhaps?).

MR> Is this some sort of known "attack"? Or just random weiredness?

        I see no known pattern, but that could be explained, as you said, by
several random activities.  For example, someone could have spoofed a
SYN with your IP as source.  Let's see what other people have to say. :)

Regards,

--
Thiago Figueiró
Infraestrutura

disclaimer: the opinions in this message are my own and do not represent
my employer's view.