Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange services.exe file

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:32:22 +1300

<jdavison3 () cox net> wrote:

SERVICES.EXE is installed on the system by Microsoft.  It is a process
which functions as the service control manager. It also runs a variety of
Windows NT user mode functions as threads including server, browsing,
event log, and RPC services.  ...

Whilst true, this is a bit like answering "chicken" when asked if the
ocean might be blue.

The .EXE you are talking about is installed in the "system" directory.
It should _not_ be in the Windows installation directory as the OP
clearly stated was the case here.  The mystery file also has the hidden
file attribute set -- another thing we would not expect of the "normal"
services.exe file.

...  The process has had numerous security flaws
and has been used by a bunch of worms and trojans.  I would start by
examining the event logs and looking at the two IP addresses to see if
anything unusual is occuring.  If the computer did not have the latest
Microsoft patches then the system is very vulnerable to script attacks
using services.exe.  ...

Whilst the concluding sentence is a reasonable position to hold, it is
largely not relevant to the foregoing.

...  Hope this helps.

Not much.

You see, filenames alone are seldom useful _AND NEVER SUFFICIENT_ for
diagnosing malware, yet that is what you have tried to do.

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.