Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange services.exe file

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:28:40 +1300

Dano <dan () thejamzone com> wrote:

Hello, I came across a strange services.exe file in WinXP and don't know
how it got there. This services.exe landed in the root
c:\windows\services.exe with a hidden attrib flag set. There was also a
registry key set at HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run
with the value "services C:\WINDOWS\services.exe -i". What it appeared to
do was send data back to hosts dhcp-ve3-101.cable.amis.net
(212.18.53.101) and um-sd04-907.uni-mb.si (164.8.15.109). I'm stil in
progress of disecting this to find out what exactly it does. Does anyone
know anything about this?

Please send a copy of it to some reverse engineering experts -- perhaps
folk who make a living doing such stuff such as the malware analysts at
the large antivirus companies.  I have included my standard list of
suspicious file submission addresses to save you having to dig them out
for yourself -- please send the file to several of these that you trust
to do the right thing...

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.