Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Trojan found...

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:08:36 -0700 (PDT)

Les,

I say it has never executed because contained
in the rar file is a .reg file that adds the trojan
to the
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
key and that key is empty.

What about the running processes on the system?  If
the key is empty, it may simply have not been able to
write to the key.  Keep in mind that the IIS web
server runs as a guest on the system.

The folder that that registry entry points to does
not exist either. Also contained in the rar file is
a txt file that lists users and which groups to add
them to, none of these users exist on the system.

Again...permissions.

If anyone has had experience with this trojan of
knows where I can find info on it I would be
greatful.

Sounds like you have everything available to write an
analysis.  Since it looks as if no one has written one

Harlan