Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Logon.dll? Possible root-kit?

From: "Nick Jacobsen" <nick () ethicsdesign com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:23:24 -0800

I'm sorry, the archive was meant for the people who had wanted to decompile
the r_bot.dll IRC bot.  I have already determined that it was not a
rootkit...  as to the logs, those were the only logs, as IIS was only
running for those days, oddly enough.  I have, using some slightly
convoluted methods, determined that the attack originated through an old IIS
box that the system administrator was not aware of.  The attacker used that
box, using double decode, to add himself an account on a terminal server
box, upon which he then proceded to install the botkit, and some other
utilities.

Nick Jacobsen