Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Logon.dll? Possible root-kit?

From: "Amarante, Rodrigo P." <RPAmarante () directvla com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:13:59 -0500

Logon.dll is normally a protocol parser for the R_Logon (Generated RPC
for interface logon) protocol. It's normally installed along with the
Windows Network Monitor. It's normally located in
winnt\system32\netmon\parsers and is made by microsoft. So, by being in
winnt\system32 and not from MS, might indicate that a 3rd party network
monitor has been installed...
Also, the reason why inetsrv doesn't show up it's because IIS actually
runs as inetinfo.exe
On the bot itself, I have not seen it before.
Did your client give a reason for not reinstalling everything? It seems
obvious to me that if a IRC bot is running on your machine, the system
has been compromised (even if by a rogue admin)...