Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Modap Worm Infection and Subsequent Scanning

From: Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt <glratt () rice edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:06:19 -0500 (CDT)

A pattern of UDP packets, with incrementing destination ports in the
range 33434-33523, is almost assuredly a traceroute initiated by
host x.y.z.w . If you want to confirm it, compare TTL values of
the packets in question: they should increment by 1 with each
successive UDP port.

Every standard traceroute I've seen, though, has sent three packets
for each (TTL value/UDP destination port) pair. Do I understand
correctly that you only saw one per?

        -g