Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: What's on udp/2002 ?

From: "Matthew F. Caldwell" <mattc () guarded net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:36:19 -0400

This is the control channel for the P2P network of the SLAPPER WORM.
The first instance of the worm we detected originated from a European
University.

Vulnerabilities:
----------------
Viruses/Worms: Late on September 13th, a new virus known as
Linux.Slapper.Worm or the Apache/mod_ssl Worm was discovered. The worm
tries to exploit a buffer overflow vulnerability in the OpenSSL
component of SSL-enabled Apache web servers. Once active, the worm can
be used as a backdoor to start up a range of denial-of-service attacks.

Recommendations:
Virsues/Worms: Some Antivirus firms have updated definitions to combat
this threat. Please check with your antivirus provider immediately and
carefully review the advisory at
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-27.html.

Matthew F. Caldwell, CISSP
Chief Security Officer