Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 030 ignkeywords igetnet follow up

From: Ryan Yagatich <ryany () pantek com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:48:13 -0500 (EST)

It appears that the uninstaller does the following (at first glance)

Removes the following files:
        c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\winstart.exe
        c:\program files\internet explorer\bho.dll
        c:\progra~1\intern~1\bho.dll
        c:\WinIE\winstart.exe
        c:\WinIE\bho.dll
        c:\WinIe\bho.dll

        %windir%\system\winstart.exe
        %windir%\system32\shell322.exe
        %windir%\system32\IGNinstaller.exe
        %windir%\system32\winstart.exe
        %windir%\winfile2.dat
        %windir%\system\rsp.dl
        %windir%\system\bho.dll
        %windir%\system32\bho.dll

Removes the following registry keys:

HKEY_(LOCALMACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser
Helper Objects\{730F2451-A3FE-4A72-938C-FC8A74F15978}

HKEY_(LOCALMACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser
Helper Objects\{AA76C2D7-15A9-4E80-A942-191F02BDCA91}

HKEY_(LOCALMACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser
Helper Objects\{0740576F-730B-11D6-8A8B-0050BA8452C0}

HKEY_(LOCALMACHINE|CURRENT_USER)\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser
Helper Objects\{E6B67CDC-81F8-11D6-8A8C-0050BA8452C0}

It then appears to modify:
        %windir%\hosts or %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
        to remove the lines:
                ieautosearch
                search.netscape.com
                auto.search.msn.com

and finally, creates an uninstall log in %systemdrive%

Like I mentioned, this is only a first glance, of it, and more is
possible.

<OPINION>
In my experience, people that have these things installed on their systems
are always 'i never installed it...'. Thats how some of these companies
get their stuff on the target systems. Now, my theory is that everyone is
so used to windows popping up on their screen that says 'are you sure you
would like to save this' or 'are you really certain you would like to
delete this file' or 'i know ive already popped up to ask you this
question, but are you REALLY sure?', and while browsing figure 'Hey, its
just one of those' and subconsciously click the yes button, or sometimes
the OK button. This in turn allows certain vendors to use the MS ActiveX
questions to their advantage because there are many people who "just click
yes, even though they don't know what they are clicking". and by God, I'd
even bet that they know that most of the people using their software don't
really know about it, just for that same purpose.
This clicking yes thing, the only real way to avoid it is to not have it
pop up to begin with, which in that case can take away the functionality
of legit traffic. In the meantime, I usually tell my clients to install
zone alarm (or other personal firewall) to aide in protecting them. I also
inform them about the whole clicking yes thing too. Zone Alarm kind of
does the same thing 'internet access requested by "foo".., Yes/No'. What
happens? people just click yes and say 'Yeah, i didnt know what it was
talking about, so i just clicked on yes and hoped for the best. It then
kept comming up with the same message, so i clicked on the 'dont ask me
anymore' thingie...This just defeats the purpose of installing the
personal firewall to begin with, which makes it almost a waste of my time
to recommend it.
So, we're back at square one again with 'how can i keep these people from
clicking buttons'. You could take away all input devices and leave them
with a monitor that is blinking 'don't touch that' in the corner, or you
can take the approach of getting rid of the material so you don't have to
trust them any further. Things like Zone Alarm, just do the same thing
which can render them useless, which in turn puts you back to performing
the suggestions previously mentioned in earlier posts.

</OPINION>

Thanks,
Ryan Yagatich  <support () pantek com>
        Pantek, Incorporated