Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Ip spoof from 0.0.0.0

From: Omar Herrera <oherrera () prodigy net mx>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:29:34 -0600

It seems that something similar has been discussed before:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/iss/2000-q1/0461.html

However, here they talk about a problem with RealSecure, not a
Firewall like PIX.

Many others have reported TCP SYN activity to port 445, however, the
PIX logs on the original post only tell this is an IP packet, there
is no information whether these are TCP, UDP or just plain IP packets
(I have not worked a lot with pixes though, so if this is my
misunderstanding please apologize).

There are circumstances where packets are sent from a source IP
address like 0.0.0.0 if I remember correctly; on DHCP renew request
for example (here is a link to an example packet of a SonicWall:
http://www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/netkb/sonicwalldhcp/dhcpreq.htm

Here DHCP is on top of UDP, but if these are accepted, I don't see
why manually crafted IP packets could contain a 0.0.0.0 address
whether you put TCP or UDP on top.

0.0.0.0 seems to be an historical broadcast address; I've also seen
it defined as the "broadcast base address".

This CIAC document, "DDoS mediation action list" includes this
address in its "private and reserved address list to be filtered"
(look under the INGRESS FILTERING part of the document):
http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/k-032.shtml

So it seems that 0.0.0.0 will be allowed by some routing devices,
still you should filter all traffic from them.

I hope this helps,

Omar Herrera