Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Justin Shore <macdaddy () neo pittstate edu>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 13:31:23 -0500

On 5/8/02 10:47 AM Mally Mclane said...

  I'm curious to see how other feel about this. Is it:

  1) Recommended. Go for it and publish the IP's and let the "Gods of IP"
     sort out the damage.
  2) A Bad Thing. These are innocent victims, and you will just have them
     be attacked by evil people.
  3) Boring. Who cares? It's Nimda, and an everyday part of life. Deal
     with it and ignore the logs.

If you have Apache et.al. No3 is the best option. ;-)

Everything else, like building lists of vulnerable IPs can either be
considered a "hobby" or will help script-kiddies and IRC-weenies build
an army of zombies in the medium term.

ARIN (+RIPE + APNIC + ...) information isn't very reliable anyway.
There have been several threads about this.
And if you've complained to SPAM before, you may already know this.

hrm, I have to disagree here.

9 times out of 10, if you want contact information, the RIPEdb will supply
*correct* contact information. And ops () ripe net will *always* try to help
you out if you don't get correct contact information.

I've had pretty good luck with RIPE's data (although I do find it harder
to read and navigate than ARIN's.  I've had world's better luck with RIPE
that APNIC.  I don't think I've ever gotten useful information out of
APNIC.  In the course of reporting spam, I use whois a lot.  I never seem
to get anything out of APNIC that I can use (little things, like an abuse
contact---bah, who would ever need that!).

Justin

--
Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.