Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: E <j46 () btinternet com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 11:50:01 +0000

I have struggled with this problem for months. My ISP has a large number of
broadband users,
and these people are still infected with nimda.I tried for weeks to get them to
do something about it.
I even started offering them technical suggestions on ways to prevent it. The
end result was
absolutely nothing. They obviously do not give a damn about it, and this goes
for many other
ISP's and organisations. The people who are infected with nimda are being
criminally negligent.
They are allowing their machines to reinfect others. (Personally I also think
Microsoft is
criminally negligent for releasing the bogus webserver and OS in the first
place).

 The last resort that I can think of is mailing your nimda logs to the ISP, and
yes, I mean every single
SYN that comes in should go to them in a seperate email. Then perhaps their
tech / security people will
start to realise what a complete annoyance this worm is.

 Publishing the IP's will achieve nothing. Each infected person needs to be
notified that he/she is infected.
Many are just broadband users in dynamic ip pools, who probably are not aware
of the problem anyway.
The bets are most network admins dont care about it, perhaps dont even know
their users are infected.

Serious lessons should be learned here. This is the kind of thing that happens
when you dress up an OS
designed for secretaries as a webserver / multiuser OS, and put it in the hands
of millions of
ignorant users. I am shocked that MS is not being held accountable for this
(and the multide of
other worms in the past couple of years).

 When are people going to realise that a corporation who puts its OS into the
homes of millions of people,
bears some responsiblity for the damage, cost, annoyance and above all wasted
time caused by poor
standards.