Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Windows Systems Defaced

From: H C <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 05:28:29 -0700 (PDT)

The above commands were directed to systems that
were listening on
port 1433/tcp and accessible from the outside.

The commands in question are attempts to execute
stored procedures in MS SQL.

At this time, I am not completely clear on how to
protect from this attack.

1.  Block port 1433 at the router/firewall.
2.  Use a strong 'sa' password.
3.  Remove or restrict access to the stored procedure.

but does anyone on this list know if
this is a safe and effective solution?

It most definitely is.  We have a particular
architecture, w/ SQL, and we've done what you've
described, and have had no problems whatsoever.