Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 'rooted' NT/2K boxen?

From: "Cody Hatch" <cody () halosec com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 15:46:41 -0600

I saw a Win2000 machine rooted just last week by an autorooter taking
advantage of the pre-10pack rollup Microsoft put out just recently. It
was hacked through a Unicode attack by an auto-rooter from Russia,
connected to an ftp site in Moscow and downloaded a file named "lb.exe",
which, when run connects to an IRC server in Moscow, loads an
auto-rooter with a list of servers to attack, and hides the processes
from netstat, Program Manager, etc. It was pretty slick.

Cody Hatch
HALO Network Security

I haven't seen any type of windows 'rootkit' myself.
For example a replacement of netstat, nbtstat,
route, and other utilities to give proccess
information etc...

If anyone knows of any let me know I'm interested.
Of course the problem with getting windows
source is an issue.

Older versions of Hoglund's NTRootkit are available
here:
http://www.megasecurity.org/Tools/Nt_rootkit_all.html

The 'newest' version I've been able to find is here:
http://www.ntndis.com/downloads.shtml

click on "Windows NT Rootkit Source".

Not sure how that applies to my original question, but
there it is...