Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: 'rooted' NT/2K boxen?

From: "William N. Zanatta" <william () veritel com br>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 17:57:23 -0300

Search Google...

two things in a first overview of the results...

http://www.crackinguniversity2000.it/Paper/__==__--%20rootkit%20--__==__.htm
http://builder.cnet.com/webbuilding/0-7532-8-4877567-1.html?tag=st.sw.3923222.bhed.7284-8-4877567-1

personally I don't see a need for it as Windows is a rootkit itself.

for you, the 2nd link should be more interesting...

William Zanatta

H C wrote:
Recently, there have been several messages posted to
this list about rooted Linux boxen.  My question is
this...has anyone seen NT/2K boxen 'rooted', in the
sense that a Linux box is usually rooted...completely
taken over, trojaned binaries, backdoors, users
installed, rootkit(s), tools copied over?

If so, what, if any, info would you be willing to
share about the system?

I'm trying to get an idea of how prevalant this sort
of thing is, and also to see what's being done, so as
to not only better protect my systems, but to assist
me in building a better incident response methodology.

Thanks.

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com