Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: spoofed packets to RFC 1918 addresses

From: "Keith T. Morgan" <keith.morgan () terradon com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:15:44 -0400

We've been seeing activity of this nature for months on most of our gateways.  I'm not sure where the ingress/egress
filtering is applied at my ISP, so I'm not sure how far away (logically) the sender of the packets is.  We asked our
ISP to monitor for them, but they were unwilling to dedicate very much router processing time to trapping the packets
on our next hop upstream.  They basically said "call us when it's going on and we'll try and see what interface it's
coming in on."

I don't know about you guys, but the RFC1918 probes we've seen have been widely sporadic, and never last for more than
a few packets at a time.

I suppose (again, depending on where our providers apply thier filtering, if at all) it could be someone logically
quite close with a misconfigured network interface.

Something worth mentioning:
IIRC the default subnet when using "windows connection sharing" is 192.168.1.0/24.  Could be misconfigured or leaking
windows boxen sharing out thier little LANs.  However, we do occasionally see non 192.168.1.0/24 RFC1918 space hitting
our borders.  This is far more rare.