Security Incidents mailing list archives

EarlyBird for Other Attacks?

From: gs-list <gs-list () glsrms com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:26:30 -0500

Mr. Dyson's Early Bird tool has been a godsend to my web servers - Kudos to him for Early Bird!

Has anybody else developed countermeasure tools to combat the other vulnerability-seeking worms that are out there? For example, I have been seeing between 25 and 50 hits, per server, per day on port 1433. I'd like to start using some countermeasures against these attempts/attacks. Perhaps not malicious countermeasures, but one that would do an ARIN/RIPE WHOIS lookup, and notify the administrator of the IP Netblock of the attack.

Again, I reiterate the point -- Early Bird has been a godsend. I have received a range of responses to Early Bird notifications, including many thank-you messages from sysadmins. It would be nice to combat the other problematic stuff out there.

Thanks,
Gregg Sperling
sysadmin glsrms.com

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com