Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: increase of scans against port 1524

From: Joe Matusiewicz <joem () nist gov>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:39:43 -0400

At 07:17 AM 6/5/02, High Speed wrote:
Hi,

last 2 days I noticed an increased scan against port 1524

ingreslock      1524/tcp    ingres
ingreslock      1524/udp    ingres

Are there known issues with this port ?
Recently found vulnerabilities ?

I remember that being a backdoor port for a whole bunch of different buffer overflow attacks. A google search on "port 1524" will cough up some names for you. It could be scans of random addresses by vultures looking for compromised boxes with convenient backdoors. In our case, one of solaris boxes was compromised eighteen months ago and someone bragged on IRC that they placed a backdoor on this port but never mentioned which of our boxes was compromised. Our networks were scanned heavily on this port and this got our attention. When we did our own scanning we discovered which of our boxes was r00ted.

-- Joe

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com