Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: UDP port 500 traffic from two clients

From: Glen Mehn <glen () squaretrade com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:27:01 -0800

you could always add a line to blacklist them in your /etc/hosts.deny file.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:27:19AM -0800, Chris Wilkes wrote:
I recently moved and changed IP addresses within my ISP's block and two
IP addresses from mediaone.net and home.com hit me a couple of times a
minute with a UDP request to port 500.

Looking around on the net it appears this could be a machine trying to
VPN into mine.  Since this is the first time these addresses have shown
up and they are just coming to and from port 500 I think their machines
mine be misconfigured or there is a DNS entry out there that says my
machine is the one that they want to get to.

What's the best way to stop this?  I sent an email off to the abuse
address at the two ISPs (I'm sure that will go straight to /dev/null as
they are really large) asking them to investigate, but is there anything
else I should do?

I setup a UDP server to capture the data that they are sending and the
results of the two are at http://ladro.com/udp500.txt .  They kept on
repeating the same 219 bytes over and over.  The pattern has since
changed, but it looks like it is staying the same.

Right now I'm sending back a UDP packet of "Go away" but I'm wondering
if there is something else I can do.  Is there some IKE message that
tells them to give up or one that will send a message to their screen?

Feel free to email me for more details.

Chris

--
Glen S Mehn
Lead Systems Administrator              SquareTrade, Inc