Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DDoS attack.

From: Patrick Oonk <patrick () pine nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 19:47:07 +0100

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 11:53:45PM -0500, Stanislav N. Vardomskiy wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Bugtraq Mailing Lists wrote:

you should start implementing ingress filtering on your routers
so that this spoofed attack will not happen again by your end users.

<snip>

As you should be a good internet denisen and not spew crap onto the
backbone that might cause problems, you probably should filter egress as
well.   Simplest egress filter would be:

<snip>

P.S. This is not meant to be a replacement for someone with Cisco skill -
there are many clued in people out there that are jobless at the moment,
and last time I tried to write a comprehensive instructions for Cisco
security for our IX, I got in no-nonsense way informed that I really
should not take the bread and butter from the CCIEs, least I want my
employer to be packeted/nullrouted off the face of the internet.

There's an even more comprehensive story about egress filtering
at http://www.incidents.org/protect/egress.php and at the Cisco
site: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/newsflash.html

--
 patrick oonk - pine internet - patrick () pine nl - www.pine.nl/~patrick