Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 80 SYN flood-like behavior

From: Lewie Wolfgang <wolfgang () nosc mil>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 17:35:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi David,

Yes, we see them here too.  It's all very strange.

We started noticing them in early February, but a check
of our raw header logs shows some activity as early as
January 15.  (That's the oldest log left)

We've noticed that they seem to be coming from a limited
range of IP's, maybe about a dozen.  Many of them seem
to be coming from universities.  I've notified several
of them and received feedback that they would block the
IP's and investigate further.

We also see the sequence numbers being identical for a
large number of packets.   We saw traffic from one
IP in Korea that sent over 1,000,000 packets in a
one-hour period, but most are coming in a a rate of
10,000-30,000 per hour.

We also notice one incident where the source and destination
ports were both #23.

We've called it the "Stuttering SYN" attack.  Your observation
is the first that I've seen, and I've been looking for about
a week now.  It's gratifying that others are seeing it too.

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang
SPAWARSYSCEN San Diego