Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Port 80 SYN flood-like behavior

From: John Elliott <johne () trifidtech ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 00:10:21 -0500

On February 13, 2002 22:58 pm, Dave Dittrich wrote:
[snip]

This attack used a variation of a TCP based reflection attack that is
not widely known to exist in the wild.  Steve's early analysis of the
attack in included below (Appendix A).

While there may be a new (D)DoS program "in the wild" to implement this
attack, the risks and methods have been known for two or more years
and some simple modifications to existing tools, and a good list of
high-capacity routers, switches, and servers, could affect an attack
of this type.

I have two web servers on different networks that have been receiving this
type of traffic for the last 2 or 3 weeks.  The same source IP's hit both
hosts at about the same time.  This is low rate traffic and generates  ACK's
back to the target.  I have been logging this activity for about two weeks
and have captured some of the packets.  I suspect that more than one machine
have the same reflector host list based on the varying times of day when
activity occurs.

A partial solution is for network operators (more likely ISP's) to do egress
filtering to ensure that only IP source addresses that belong to their
network  leave their network.

John Elliott