Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Wave of Nimda-like hits this morning?

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <chris () UU NET>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:44:43 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Brian Mooney wrote:

I have been seeing those scans pretty nonstop since the outbreak of
Nimda.  AT&T tells me that they have blocked Code Red, CRII, and Nimda
upstream, but I still get this traffic 15 times a day or so.  Yesterday,
I had one IP hit my machine, looking for cmd.exe 27 times...

How did AT&T block these upstream from you? Unless they installed a proxy
firewall, or a router that can effectively do layer 4+ filtering I can't
see this being accomplished for all customers off a AT&T edge router.

Perhaps did they block this traffic on a firewall they manage for you?