Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Odd entries in my Security Router logs

From: "James C. Slora Jr." <Jim.Slora () phra com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:44:47 -0500

Andrews, Jonathan wrote Tuesday, December 10, 2002 12:17 PM

192.168.0.0/16 is a privately addressed netblock.  These packets could not
be routed over the Internet.  Do you NAT at your edge router and were
these
traces obtained from the "internal" interface of your router?

Private addresses _should_ not be routed. They can be and are routed with
frustrating regularity. I get (and filter of course) private address traffic
from:
ISP's equipment
Forged packets
Overloaded remote NAT devices or firewalls
Misconfigured NAT
Misconfigured complex Web sites

Some ISPs filter it out and some don't.

If so, this would have to be something on your internal network
broadcasting
this traffic.

Probably so, but not necessarily. Depends on whether private addresses were
effectively filtered upstream of the network reporting the alert.