Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: EBay Fraud Attempt

From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul () somewhere com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 01:17:28 -0500

 > Hello All,
        About 24 Hours ago I received an e-mail from "EBay Billing" with
 the subject of "EBay Billing Error". However, I have not conducted any
 > transactions in months, so I became suspicious. The text of the e-mail

Interesting.  This one hit us this weekend.  It was notable in part
because it looked like a text message, which makes the link in it
less suspicious.  Unfortunately for them, the site they hosted on set
a cookie, so if you had cookie alerts turned on the IP address looked
suspicious, and of course the URL in the header was bad.  The page
itself was a copy of the ebay login page, and submitting your info
would redirect you to the real ebay login page after grabbing the
password information.

I informed the hosting provider and they shut it down, but it was up
for more than 24 hours.  I also sent mail to abuse () paypal com.  I
*hope* they have a way of mapping the referrer fields to the logins
and can thus easily notify anyone who came into their site through
the fake one, but I haven't heard back.