Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: fswserv.html ????

From: "james" <jamesh () cybermesa com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:17:31 -0700

I suggest not letting the servers get the page they are
requesting - I've
done things like that before, and when I 'allowed' the
pages to be
accessed, requests skyrocketed.

Yep, that is what happened. But I expected it to, so no big
woo.
At that point I was still trying to decide if this was
hostile or just a stupid mistake.
So I considered dev's idea and tried it for a little while
before I null0 routed this traffic.
I am pretty sure it was just stupidity that caused this; as
a DoS it had no hope of taking down
a multi-processor BSDi web server.

Thanks again for all the help !

James Edwards
jamesh () cybermesa com
At the Santa Fe Office: Internet at Cyber Mesa
Store hours: 9-6 Monday through Friday
Phone support 365 days till 10 pm via the Santa Fe office:
505-988-9200