Security Incidents mailing list archives

RE: Nimda et.al. versus ISP responsibility

From: "Mogull,Rich" <rich.mogull () gartner com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:05:39 -0700

Yes, the blame lays with the perpetrators. That said those responsible for
the public infrastructure have a responsibility to maintain the functioning
of that infrastructure for their customers (directly, there's also the
"public good"). Infected computers staging attacks on other systems or
abusing network resources should be notified and shut off by the ISP. ISPs
should also imrpove ingress and egress filtering to limit spoofing. ISPs do
their customers a disservice by ignoring abuse on their networks, even if
some clients suffer some down time. It's also probably in the interests of
the ISPs to provide their clients the tols to limit abuse over the network,
I suspect there's a measurable ROI hiding in there someplace.

Rich Mogull
rich.mogull () gartner com

<opinions expressed to this list are personal, and do not necessarily
reflect those of Gartner>