Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Tracking down the still infected hosts

From: Tina Bird <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:24:49 -0500 (CDT)

Can I ask a question?

According to Ryan Russell (who's been analyzing the
worm code), Nimda doesn't honor redirects - it just
checks the response it gets from a Web server to
determine whether or not the server is vulnerable.
It doesn't follow redirects.  So what does this
actually accomplish?

Isn't it possible that the Nimda traffic is going down
because of the decaying growth curve of propagation?
Or am I just missing something?

confused -- tbird