Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: NIMDA has a built in timer? No hits lately

From: Mike Baptiste <mike () msbnetworks net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:33:14 -0400

I run a TINY setup - grand total of 3 IPs on 64.* and I'm getting hammered. Since 1PM EST (cable cut this morning :( ), we've seen almost 4,400 cmd.exe and 4,300 multiple decode IIS probes and the rate is fairly constant even in the last hour (8-9PM EST) We're seeing hits from about 400 unique IPs so far.

So even on a REALLY small network the amount of probes is impressive.

Mike

Sevo Stille wrote:

David Kennedy CISSP wrote:

I started getting hit @ 13:09:55 UTC this morning.  My sensor have
not been touched since 19:15:10 UTC this afternoon.

Well, in the 212 netblock it is still going on, even though the rate has been approximately halving every hour for the last two hours. The last hit so far was at 23:48:31 UTC. Originally, about 10% came from all over the /8 I'm in, but for the last hour, it has been all from my /16.

For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com